Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Today at the collaborative blog that I write for, Focusing on Life, I posted a story about my chicken tortilla soup, just the story, no recipe.  Well, after several people have requested the recipe, I decided to post it here.  So here goes:

Chicken Tortilla Soup

3 chicken breast halves, including skin & bone
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
2 32 oz. cartons of chicken broth + 1 14.5 oz. can of chicken broth
2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
2 chipotle peppers in abobo sauce (or less if you don't want it too spicy)
1 medium sweet onion
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
olive oil
1 bag frozen sweet corn
cilantro, chopped
avocado, chopped
tortilla chips

Cover chicken breasts with water in large pot; add garlic powder and salt.  Bring to boil and then lower heat to medium and cook for approximately 30 minutes until chicken is done.  Remove and let cool.  Dispose of cooking water.  Chop onion and saute with garlic in olive oil until opaque.  Add onion/garlic, one can of tomatoes and some of the chicken broth to a blender and blend.  Pour into same pan you  used to cook the chicken.  Add second can of tomatoes, some chicken broth and chipotle peppers to blender and blend. Pour into cooking pot.  Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, shred chicken, discarding skin and bone.  Add chicken, corn and cilantro to soup and heat for 1-2 minutes.  Break tortilla chips into serving bowls, spoon soup over chips and add avocado.

That's all there is to it.  Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Yummo! It's winter here so I cant wait to try this warmer upper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you thank you Terri! I am going to make this before the week is over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Terri! This will be a good recipe for watching basket ball games!

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This . . . I will be having. Looks good and tomorrow may not be too soon. I am trying to figure out how to copy this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds awesome Terri. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to make this! Quickly! Because I am drooling on my laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri, I made this last night and it was delicious!!! My whole family loved it, which is a feat in itself! So good. Make it everybody. Make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this soup looks and sounds delicious! Will give it a go. Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete